Saturday, January 05, 2008

open the eyes

.....The eye is the most interesting organ in the human body, in my limited experience.
.....Eyes can convey so much. They shed tears, not only when one is sad, but when one is exceedingly happy as well. They crinkle on the edges and twinkle when a person is smiling and laughing. They squish when one is angered or frustrated. They grow when a person is shocked. They fade and dull when a person is weary or tired. They can show pain, exhaustion, happiness, excitement, consternation, determination, joy, sadness, exasperation, irritation, anxiety, hope.
.....The eye varies so much per person. Colour, sensitivity, shape, acuity.
.....There are so many different parts to the eye, it is amazing. There are rods and cones. Rods are for detecting brightness and cones for detecting colour. It's so interesting because your eye receives the light that is reflected off of an object, making it that colour. For example, blonde hair is blonde in your eyes because yellow-ish light is reflecting off of the hair into your eyes. And the rods and cones in your eye can detect different intensities of colour and different colours.
.....Eyes are so crazily intriguing. I just can't get over it.
.....I remember I dissected a cow's eye in Biology. It was remarkable. I could see all of the parts, the optic nerve, the retina, the lens, the aqueous humour, the vitreous humour, and I can't remember the rest. It was incredible. The light enters the pupil and is focused on the retina by the lens. Then all the rods and cones interact with each other[because of the light] and send messages to the brain regarding colour, contour, and brightness. It's astounding.
.....I hope I never get bored of these kinds of things. I hope I always think about the way things work, I hope I am always fascinated by common, everyday things, like eyes, and other things, like words.


...
If eyes are so amazing, why is it so hard to use them sometimes?
How can we be so willingly blind to the things that are right in front of us?

4 comments:

maria. said...

Not the cow's eye again!

But being serious ...

The eye is such a small part of our body, and your brief description even shows how intricately God has made it.


We've taught ourselves not to see past the end of our nose, only what we want to see. Sometimes, we just need our whole life turned upside down, or at least have a big shock, to wake us up to what is around us.

nadine j. said...

Yes the cow's eye! It was the most interesting thing that has ever happened to me.

I know. It shows how much care God put in designing us, he made us so that we would perfectly fit with the rest of creation.



Yes. And I think I need one. Real bad.

maria. said...

And yet we are such a small part of it.

Anonymous said...

rectalinear propogation of light.

thats all i've got to say.