Sunday, February 08, 2009

a quote and a citation.

"it was a church picnic with 5,000 people; and nobody brought the salad."
Rev. DG - the Feeding of the Five Thousand
Reverend DeGelder, I'm glad you make me laugh when you're preaching. I'm glad you get excited about the words you are saying. I'm glad you really want us to hear.
.
.
.
.
" "This is for Boris, from me, to have his uniform made..."
..............Anna Mikhailovna was already embracing her and weeping. The countess was also weeping. They wept because they were friends; and because they were kind; and because they, who had been friends since childhood, were concerned with such a mean object - money; and because their youth was gone . . . But for both of them they were pleasant tears . . . "
L. Tolstoy - War and Peace
Tolstoy, I'm glad you put these words together so that I could make a decision to read them, but not because I had to. I'm glad that you went out of your way to put them beside one another and to alter their meaning ever so slightly with the words that you surrounded them with. I'm glad that you existed and that you left something behind from your existence so that I can share in it, even though you have been gone for about ninety-nine years now.

1 comment:

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Words on a page can really hit you, eh? It's crazy! I like it when that happens with words in the Bible.


I get to hear your pastor preach on Sunday!!!