Sunday, March 30, 2008

interesting "conversations"

an expanded metaphor from a "conversation"


I always want to have everything 'in my own hands'. Everything has to be organized in my head. I am set on the idea that I am the only one capable of opening the lock to the office of my mind. I think I have the option of hiding papers on issues I don't want to think about. I like to be able to ignore certain things, to dump them in the wastebasket which, incidentally, is overflowing, because my waste basket never gets emptied. I think God likes to poke His finger in my alphabetized files, in my cabinets, in my drawers, in my waste basket and fling the papers He finds all over in the office of my mind. Just so He can see my cells scurrying around picking up papers and trying to find a way to stop it from happening again. And then He tells me that I don't need all the file folders, cabinets, drawers, and (especially) waste basket that take up so much space in my office. He tells me that He is my file folder, He is the place where I should place all my cares and all my worries and all my thoughts. He tells me that all I need in my office is a single paper that says, "I love you, Lord, and I lift my voice to worship you." But, my cells don't react to His unspoken words. They continue to act at MY command, they continue to stack and re-stack again and again so that I can feel I am in control. And God pokes His finger again, scattering papers, and I clap my hands and order my cells about, re-organizing, trying to build a better structure, laying paperweights everywhere in an effort to stop this invisible, unstoppable finger. Never realizing that no amount of paperweights can keep my thoughts in order.



Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. John 14:1
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
So, whether we live or die, we belong to the LORD. Romans 14:8
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

10 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the "conversation". I love you.

nadine j. said...

I love you too.

And, thanks for listening to my rants...

maria. said...

Nice picture ... attack of the gun coral.

Amazing post, I love it. Reminds me of myself. Definately some texts to keep foremost in mind. And I do not feel like typing in proper sentences.

Jessica said...

thanks for the post. i really like it... it helped try me understand.

justine said...

paperweights are interesting. they almost act like bricks in walls? i'm glad God is messing with you. :P

nadine j. said...

Yes, they act exactly like bricks in walls. I have a lot of walls.


God's have a good time trying to break them down. Whilst I'm trying to hold them up.

Anonymous said...

thats really cool ding.
thanks for making me think about stuff today :)

Ju said...

ditto what kira said.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

hmm. let's talk more.

nadine j. said...

Yes, let's.